Watt & Sea
Noiseless, highly efficient hydro-generator from Watt & Sea now available in Australasia.
Kiwi Yachting Consultants brings the latest development in European designed power generation to sailors down-under. Watt & Sea offer high peak power output without the noise, fumes, and unreliability of traditional power plants. The range of cruising and racing options offer a yacht complete energy autonomy with as little as 5 knots of boat speed.
The principle is simple, with the momentum of a yacht under sail turning an immersed propeller from a retractable stern leg on the transom. The refined Watt & Sea design is light, reliable and works in with the “green philosophy” of the modern coastal and offshore sailor. A rudder-like bracket and hydrodynamic leg means amps are generated with as little as 3 knots boat speed. The environmentally friendly solution has already been nominated for the METS Design Award and won the 2010 Bateau Bleu award from the French Marine Federation.
The CRUISING hydro generator is a simplified variation of the RACING version, adapted to the use of cruising and racing sailboats.
Even lighted, more managable, more hydrodynamic and corrosion resistant... Result of our experience, the new generation of Cruising hydrogenerators and its new features meet the requirements of users, boatbuilders and installers:
- Available in 2 outputs, 300 or 600 watts and 2 lengths, 610 or 970 mm, to meet the requirements of any sailor
- "Brushless" technology and same material on any model
- Converter 12-24 Vcc auto-detected with an advanced electronic architecture
- New bracket with its cam positioned closer to the hydrognerator to hold it firmly immersed or lifted. The locked and unlocking is possible with one hand
- 2kg lighter, lifting and removal are even easier
- Redesigned with optimised hydrodynamic, the generator is in composite with enhanced corrosion resistance
- Effectiveness exceeding that of wind generators and solar panels
- Excellent output allowing sailing with surplus energy, and fully charged batteries when you reach your mooring
- Negligible drag thanks to perfect hydrodynamics
- Efficient operation from 3 to 20 knots
With a pleasant design, the 300 and 600W Cruising Hydrogenerators are light, compact and easy to install on your boat.
Built in robust materials, it does not require any maintenance.
Effective on a range of speeds from 2 to 10 knots, its simple assembly is carried out on the transom thanks to a lifting system, like rudder, with an integrated cam-cleat.
- Power: 120W at 5 knots further to thw model and size of the propeller (10A - 12V; 5A - 24V)
- Start-up speed: 2 knots
- Aluminium leg: 610 or 970 mm
- Cruising 300: nominal output 300 Watts (24A in 12Vcc)
- Cruising 600: nominal output 600 Watts (48A in 12Vcc)
- Delivered with the last generation of converter 12-24Vcc automatically detected, one 240mm propeller (200 mm and 280 mm in option), new bracket with its cam-cleat and one fitting kit
High performance, unperceivable drag
An adapted and patented version of the prototype developed for the Vendée Global Ocean Race. The Watt & Sea Racing Hydrogenerator is especially designed for high-performance ocean
Effective at a boat speed range from 7 to 25 knots, they are equipped with a variable pitch propeller, functioning electronically with an independent miniaturized system, thus minimizing the drag and improving the energy output. Delivered with convertor-regulator, fastening bracket and hydraulic pump to managing the variable pitch.
Performance matters :
- Various options to suit use and type of vessel.
- Efficiency at a speed range from 7 to 25 knots.
- Considerable energy input for total independence of racing sailboats
- Unperceivable drag thanks to a perfect hydrodynamics and the variable pitch
- Designed to perform in extreme conditions.
Technical characteristics :
- Power : 500W (40A in 12V - 20A in 24V).
- Supply voltage : 12V or 24V
- Start-up speed : 7 knots
- Aluminium Racing weight : 8,5 kg (hydrogenerator), 3,5kg (convertor-regulator), 1kg (hydraulic pump)
- Carbon Racing weight : 6,5 kg (hydrogenerator), 3,5kg (convertor-regulator),1kg (hydraulic pump)
- Warranty : 2 years against manufacturing defects.